Saturday, November 26, 2011

Week #21 - Chicken Noodle Soup and Corn Casserole

This was supposed to be Turkey Noodle Soup, but I could not find turkey meat for soup without buying a whole turkey. I made this for my family's Thanksgiving lunch but I used chicken instead. I used this recipe from myrecipes.com.

Ingredients

  • Cooking spray 
  • 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices carrot 
  • 3/4 cup chopped onion 
  • 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 cup (1/4-inch-thick) slices celery 
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt 
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 
  • 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth 
  • 2 cups (3 ounces) uncooked egg noodles
  • 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 cups shredded turkey (about 8 ounces)
  • Coarsely ground black pepper (optional) 

Preparation

  • Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add carrot, onion, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is lightly browned. Add celery, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and next 3 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Add shredded turkey; cook 3 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Sprinkle with coarsely ground black pepper, if desired.

It turned out really good, and everyone was impressed by my cooking.

Rating: 4.5/5


I also made corn casserole. I originally got the recipe from my friend, but I lost it, so I looked up another one online. I found this one on cooks.com.

  1 can whole kernel yellow corn, undrained
1 can cream style yellow corn
1 (8 oz.) carton sour cream
2 eggs, beaten
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
1 stick butter, melted

Mix all together and pour into large, lightly oiled casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes.

It's on the plate in the back.
At first I thought it turned out not sweet enough, but once I had some more it was really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment